Just some thoughts, Ladies and Gentlemen. Right or wrong...just what I was feeling at the time. - S. Carter



Wednesday, June 16, 2010

People Don't Write No More...

Where are the real songwriters? I'm sitting here listening to "Never Keeping Secrets," by Babyface, and it just hit me - you really don't hear lyrics like this anymore. Nobody sings about love, it's just all sex, and "how much money can you give me," and my "bi**h is badder than yours." I mean, I guess there's a time and place for everything, but it seems like the time is overwhelmingly ALL the time, and the place is the whole of Planet Earth.

I don't know what it is, I guess people and standards have changed. I'm not meaning to sound old, because I'm really not, but there are very few new artists who sing about anything of real substance. Anyone who knows me knows I love Anthony Hamilton's music. Anthony sings about life, love and real situations.
To quote Anthony's "Never Love Again":

A man don't usually fall no more than twice
And if he does you'll never know 'cause he won't say
For the fear of being used, taken twice by the heart
It's in his nature to be afraid
He starts to wonder if it's really right, to let his past take control of his life
Maybe I'll run into hope, someone that's right for me
And share love freely and fall in love again.


That man is singing about something he knows!

Now take a gander at these lyrics from The Dream's
“Rocking That Thang":

Girl I'm in love with you baby, and I want you to know
That I'm hooked on your body, and I'm trying to be yours
Hear my words for their worth
Ain't just tryna get in your clothes
Okay, I'm lying. Damn you fine
And uhm...

Lol, what an appropriate ending to that stanza. "Um...what?!?" To each his/her own, but how can people listen music like this ALL the time?

When did people stop expecting substance in their lyrics? You know what, I'll tell you - the moment the first R. Kelly album went platinum. People (mostly your cousins), love to talk about how talented of a writer R. is, but really, his lyrics are pretty basic. I think I've discovered his lyric writing strategy - as long as it rhymes, and makes people dance, it's fair game. Think about the "Ignition" lyrics. And no I'm not typing them, because most likely you already know them. That song was HOT the year I graduated from college, and I'm not gonna lie, I liked the remix, but mostly to laugh at. Let's be real – lyrics like these are the reason he's not in jail now! It really seems like, in our community, as long as you can make people dance, you can do no wrong. That's sad. I wonder if they'll make a movie about him like they did Jerry Lee Lewis.

Now don't get me wrong, I like a catchy song with basic lyrics every now and then (Jamie Foxx's "Blame It" is one of my favorites), however, my musical taste is mature enough that I see a song like that for what it is. Simply put, it’s just a fun song, not something to emulate or really see any substance in. And no, I'm not saying that lyrics always have to be deep, but just like the company you keep, I'm convinced that listening to stupid, mindless music all the time makes you stupid and mindless.

3 comments:

esk said...

Cara, that's so funny that you wrote about this! My most recent post talked about the music I listen to...I can really appreciate compassionate, sincere lyrics. I get so tired of the songs that talk about what this man should buy, buy, buy or how big that woman's butt was.

Sunnyasylum said...

its a shame. you can censor tv but not radio.

NJ B.A.P. said...

@ESK - Thank you! I just need some substance!

@Sunny - They can! It's called monitoring what their kids listen to. I'll never forget the time my (then) five-year-old brother started singing "O.P.P" in front of my Dad. Lol, MTV was blocked the next day!